Certificate of Dental Assisting Program Application 2020
General Admission Requirements:
Applicant selection into the Dental Assisting Program is selective and competitive. Twelve students are admitted annually. For more information on the application process, students should visit the department website at https://www.germanna.edu/dental/dental-assisting/ or call the department office at (540) 423-9823 or (540) 423-9833. Unless otherwise specified, applicants must meet all of the following requirements to be admitted to Dental Assisting Program:
- Must be admitted to Germanna Community College.
- Students must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must qualify for MDE 10 within the last 5 years Have a GPA of 2.0 or greater and demonstrated competency in Math (MDE 10 ) & ENG 111 eligible.
- Applicants must attend an online dental assisting program information session.
- Applications, including official transcripts of all secondary and postsecondary courses, must be received by the Admissions and Records Office.
- Requirements for admission into the dental assisting program are specific and admission is selective and competitive. If there are more qualified applicants than space available for offer of admission, the applicants with the highest TEAS exam scores, GPA, and number of credits completed toward the Certificate in Dental Assisting will receive priority consideration for offer of admission. Answers to short essay questions will also be considered.
- If the number of applicants exceeds the enrollment space available in the program, some applicants may not be accepted even if the minimum requirements for admission are met.
- Applicants will be expected to have earned a “C” or better in all general education courses in the Certificate program.
- Applications for the Certificate in Dental Assisting program are due by September 1 each year.
- The expected time it will take a student to earn the certificate may exceed one academic year.
- Prospective applicants without previous college courses completed should contact the Counseling Office to begin taking pre-dental assisting courses.
- A current working knowledge of the basic computer use and the principles of biology, math, and chemistry is expected.
- In all dental assisting courses, math, science, and computer literacy courses should have been successfully completed within the previous five years.
- Deficiencies may be corrected through appropriate courses at Germanna prior to admission to the program.
- The Virginia Board of Dentistry may deny any applicant for licensure if the applicant has willfully committed a felony/misdemeanor under laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia or of the United States
- Selected learning experiences will be provided in a number of health agencies located within the geographical area served by the College, such as private dental offices, schools, and other community health settings.
- Germanna Community College’s Dental Assisting Training Clinic complies with current infection control guidelines that are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). If you are interested in a hard copy of the policies, please contact Misty L. Mesimer at 540-423-9823 or email@example.com and a copy will be provided to you.
- It is strongly recommended due to the nature of the dental assisting profession and related occupational hazards that students maintain health insurance. The college is not responsible for any health care expenses that may occur as a result of an occupational injury or hazard.
- Prior to the onset of clinical experiences, the dental assisting student must provide documentation of:
- Certification of cardiopulmonary resuscitation for health care professionals.
- Rubella/rubeola (MMR) vaccines or titer.
- Hepatitis B vaccines or waiver.
- Tuberculosis antibody status.
- Chickenpox (Varicella) vaccine or titer.
- Urine drug screen.
- Annual Influenza vaccination.
- Other mandatory clinical facility requirements such as criminal history report.
- Physical and dental examinations will be required upon accepting admission to the dental assisting program. When a student progresses within a health care program, the student is accountable for providing documentation of completed vaccinations and/or immunity, current CPR, liability insurance and an annual PPD. All transferring and/or readmitted students must provide current copies of all credentials.
- Students will be totally responsible for transportation to and from the College and health agencies utilized for clinical experiences.
- Information on scholarships and financial assistance is available in the Financial Aid Office.
- Students may take BIO 141/142 in place of BIO 145.
Additional Admission Recommendations:
- It is recommended that students pass BIO 145, Basic Human Anatomy & Physiology, 4 credits, ENG 111, College Composition, and SDV 101, Orientation to Health Care with a grade of C or better prior to being admitted to the program.
- Students may be required to repeat courses or to complete evaluative testing for credits earned more than ten years ago.
Application Checklist and Directions:
- Apply for admission to Germanna Community College at: https://www.apply.vccs.edu/applications/vccs/apply.html?application_id=4084
- Attend a Dental Assisting Application Information Session. They are scheduled for
- June 25, 2020, 10:00 AM
- June 29, 2020, 10:00 AM
- July 22, 2020, 2:00 PM
- August 11, 2020, 6:00 PM
- To register for an information session, please fill out the form at: https://forms.gle/Z1boDeejTNa5LjJy5. About an hour before the session, an email with the link to join the information session will be sent to you.
- Verification of your attendance at an information session will be made when submitting your application online. The password for the application website will be provided in the information session.
- Submit your dental assisting application online. The deadline is September 1 of each year.
Dental Assistant Print Application
Download and Print the Dental Assistant Application